Rafaella’s
Argument Essay (“Banning YA Books Argument Essay”) was effective and
sophisticated. She achieved this “grown-up” tone in many ways.
First
of all, in order to get her point across effectively, Rafaella used a very
sophisticated vocabulary. Some “power words” she used are:
“…questionable…worrisome…intricate…daunting…gruesome…” and many others. A
strong, mature vocabulary makes the reader look at the author on a whole new
level. I never hear words like “daunting” come out of Rafaella’s mouth, and it
really caught me off guard for a moment! Rafaella’s vocabulary helped create a
sophisticated tone.
Second
of all, Rafaella’s use of statistics in her introduction made her seem
professional, and brought our attention right to the text. She writes: “There
was a daunting total of 307 challenged books reported in 2013, many of these
being very popular and considered extremely touching.” We hang on to every word
she writes after this, all the way to the conclusion. Statistics are like an
attention grabber. Rafaella’s use of statistics makes her seem very professional.
Lastly,
Rafaella’s unique quote choices give her a personal tone. Rafaella consistently
uses quotes that relate back to “the average American”-someone’s daily life.
For example, “Mother Amy Freeman from Maryland agrees.” We associate ourselves
with “Amy Freeman,” and therefore feel as if this essay relates to us, also. By
doing this, Rafaella can secretly push her ideas into our brains without us
knowing-a very smart technique. Quote choice can be an effective way to deliver
your ideas.
Overall,
Rafaella’s essay was truly incredible. Her use of vocabulary, statistics, and
quote choice made her seem very “grown-up.” I’ve noticed this sophisticated tone
in lots of her writing, and I think it’s really great. I’m going to try to incorporate
some of this maturity in my own writing. Personally, I disagree with Rafaella’s
opinion (I believe that YA books should be free of all restraint), but the
techniques she used to get her point across really swayed my views. I can
easily tell why Rafaella’s argument essay was chosen as one of the “All-Star Argument
Essays!” Good job!
No comments:
Post a Comment