Over the summer, I
read “Every Day” by David Levithan. A school librarian recommended this book to
me, so I already had high hopes for this book, but “Every Day” just blew me
away! Overall I thought that it was an incredible book.
This book is about
a teenager named A who wakes up in a different person’s body every day. A used
to think that this is what everyone went through for their entire life, but
when A heard of “tomorrow” he/she didn’t understand because there would be no
tomorrow, if every day was a new beginning. (I used he/she because A doesn’t
classify him/herself as a particular gender.)
How could A go on a family trip “tomorrow” if A wasn’t part of that
family for more than 24 hours? Now
here’s where it gets juicy! One day, A wakes up as “Justin.” Justin is a really
annoying, rude, difficult teen. But, A isn’t like that. When A finds Rhiannon (Justin’s
girlfriend who is terrified of him,) he/she instantaneously falls in love. A falls asleep that night thinking of
Rhiannon, but wakes up hundreds of miles away from her, as a new person.
Throughout the rest of this story A must find his/her way back to Rhiannon, and
explain his/her situation.
I love the
author’s craft in this book. David Levithan takes such a confusing topic yet
somehow manages to depict it in a very clear, un-confusing way. I also love his
use of inner thinking. A is mostly alone, because it seems like there’s no one
else like him/herself, so he spends most of his/her time by him/herself. It makes
up for the lack of dialogue because the inner thinking is so sentimental and
moving.
I love how David
Levithan develops his characters. Each character in this book has so many
different levels of emotions and thoughts that make you want to keep reading
and reading to find out more about them.
The author shows how on the outside everyone is very different, but
really deep down we’re all the same.
All in all, this
is one of the best books I’ve read in a while, and I would hands down recommend
this to anybody and everybody!
No comments:
Post a Comment